4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

does this look like a warped rotor?(pics inside)

Old 04-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

does this look like a warped rotor?(pics inside)

Does this looked like a warped rotor? There's a dark black line on the edge of the rotor. I got two pics, check them out and tell me is my rotor warped. Thanks.

http://cumalot.homestead.com/files/Dcp_0002.jpg

http://cumalot.homestead.com/files/Dcp_0004.jpg
Old 04-10-2003, 12:13 PM

No its not warped....you wouldnt be able to tell by just looking at the rotor itself..

That black line is just a wear mark from the pad itself

-matt
Old 04-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Here's some good reading material regarding brakes & warped rotors.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 04-10-2003, 12:24 PM

I asked because when I'm driving around, I hear this annoying screeching sound that seem to be coming from the front driver side suspension. I don't hear it all the time, but often enough. Weird thing is when I brake, the sound goes away, but if I let off the brake, the sound is back. Also, I do feel a slight vibrating/pulsating feeling from the brake pedal when I brake. I'm not 100% certain of this, not sure if it's just in my head.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Also, I do feel a slight vibrating/pulsating feeling from the brake pedal when I brake. I'm not 100% certain of this, not sure if it's just in my head.
I get that.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:30 PM

Cumalot, do you have the Axxis Matal Masters coupled with those rotors?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Cumalot, do you have the Axxis Matal Masters coupled with those rotors?

Well, I got the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads on the front, but got the Metal Masters on the rear.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:40 PM

I asked because when I'm driving around, I hear this annoying screeching sound that seem to be coming from the front driver side suspension. I don't hear it all the time, but often enough. Weird thing is when I brake, the sound goes away, but if I let off the brake, the sound is back. Also, I do feel a slight vibrating/pulsating feeling from the brake pedal when I brake. I'm not 100% certain of this, not sure if it's just in my head.
Sometimes my car does the same thing, but sometimes it doesn't. I have yet to determine the source of this sound. Let me know if you figure it out. I'm starting to think it might be wheel bearings or something.

-Nick
Old 04-10-2003, 12:41 PM

Read the article in the link I posted just before. There is some excellent info up there. Looks like you have pad material deposited onto your rotor. (black line) That could be the cause of your squeal and the slight pulsation your feeling. You can clean them up yourself and bed the pads in again. That article explains how to do that. Your noise and vibration will probably go away.

According to that article, there really is no such thing as a warped rotor, and after reading that article, I understand the theory behind that.

P.S. I have the Stillen setup. 8 Months now with perfectly smooth brakes.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Looks like you have pad material deposited onto your rotor. (black line) That could be the cause of your squeal and the slight pulsation your feeling. You can clean them up yourself and bed the pads in again. That article explains how to do that. Your noise and vibration will probably go away.

Interesting. You think brake cleaner can get rid of that black line? I ran my fingers through the line and it seem to be in there pretty good. What do you mean bed the pads?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:58 PM

You think brake cleaner can get rid of that black line?
NO

What do you mean bed the pads?
Take a few minutes and go http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 04-10-2003, 01:13 PM

Ok. I read it. I'm having a similar problem.

So if I get new pads and bed them properly,
they will remove the old deposits on the disc?
Old 04-10-2003, 01:19 PM

Quoted from Stoptech.

Is there a "cure" for discs with uneven friction material deposits?" The answer is a conditional yes. If the vibration has just started, the chances are that the temperature has never reached the point where cementite begins to form. In this case, simply fitting a set of good "semi-metallic" pads and using them hard (after bedding) may well remove the deposits and restore the system to normal operation but with upgraded pads.
My suggestion is try the Axxis Metal Masters. They are more agressive and may clean up the rotor for you.

If only a small amount of material has been transferred i.e. if the vibration is just starting, vigorous scrubbing with garnet paper may remove the deposit. As many deposits are not visible, scrub the entire friction surfaces thoroughly. Do not use regular sand paper or emery cloth as the aluminum oxide abrasive material will permeate the cast iron surface and make the condition worse. Do not bead blast or sand blast the discs for the same reason
This may be another way to recondition your rotors before putting new pads on. I have never heard of garnet paper, maybe your local hardware store can provide some for you.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:39 PM

If you're getting that pulsy/jumpy brakes each time you apply them then the rotors are probably warped. No idea what that black line is but if you just replace the rotors you'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Also, I do feel a slight vibrating/pulsating feeling from the brake pedal when I brake. I'm not 100% certain of this, not sure if it's just in my head.
TO be sure go 150 mph and then slam on your brakes. JUST KIDDING. You can mistake pulsation for bumps in the road at low speeds if you have a stiff suspension, but at more highway speeds like on exit ramps, you will feel a shuddering in the pedal and even steering wheel.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well, i'll try to brief up my brake noise story...

i used to take my brakes to midas (key words, used to). i was always getting a nasty brake squeal just like you do and it'd go away normally when hitting the brakes. well, i just always took them back and they'd replace them under the glorious "lifetime warranty". finally, i decided to have a really good mechanically inclined friend help me do a brake job myself. after taking off the brakes, we found them to be using wheel bearing grease for lubricant on the pads. in turn, since that doesn't have the same heat characteristics as brake lubricant, it was burning up. we had to replace the whole caliper. why? because the heat from normal braking and the grease had basically fried the piston. it was no surprise how i was getting brake noise. it looked awful, and they were just throwing another set of pads and wrong grease on there every time. i now have no more brake noise after replacing everything and doing it the proper way.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:43 PM

It sounds to me like you did not use Nissan shims or did not use the quiet brake goo when you changed your brake pads.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:06 PM

Before installing new brake pads, I always remove the rotor and sand them down with 60 grit sandpaper, using a circular pattern on the disc. Afterwards, wash them well with brake cleaner. Doing this will help the pads break-in there wear pattern in the disc. Or you can take them to a local shop and have them turned.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.

It sounds to me like you did not use Nissan shims or did not use the quiet brake goo when you changed your brake pads.

I used the shims that were included with the Quiet Stop and Metal Master pads. And yes I did used the brake goo.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:52 PM

Tips on brakes.....

If you feel pulsating in the brakes your rotor(s) are possibly warped. The number one cause of warped rotors is inproper tightening of lug nuts on your wheels. Also, the number one cause of brake squeal comes from not washing the rotors after they have been turned. If you fail to wash the rotors after getting them back fron the parts store. All the metal shaving will go straight into the pad.

Ceramic pads are recommended for all Maximas as well. The semi metallic won't cut it. Do not be cheap when it comes to pads.

Good Luck......
Old 04-10-2003, 08:18 PM

Im expericening the same thing as you. And guess what is the rotors why cuz my rotor is wrap, same exact thing.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by AuToMaX_95

Im expericening the same thing as you. And guess what is the rotors why cuz my rotor is wrap, same exact thing.
and im using Axxis MM