General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP! Fuel door will not open?

Old 10-12-2002, 03:23 PM

HELP! Fuel door will not open?

When I was at the gas station today, I tried to open my fuel door with the fuel release trigger and I heard the CLICK, but when I looked at the fuel door, it didn't pop open! So then I got my brother to keep pulling the release trigger and I was trying to push and pull on the gas door, but it wouldn't budge!

So I went home, took a flat head screwdriver and just tried to pry it out and it popped right open! I took some WD40 and sprayed the hinges of the door and the little white tab that retracts when you hit the fuel release trigger, left it alone for a bit and shut the lid. I tried to opening the fuel door again, but it was still stuck! The little white tab doesn't retract when you raise the trigger, but I can still hear the CLICK.

I did a search but didnt get anymore more than to just lube the hinges. After many scratches and a bruised finger, I'm stumped on what to do next
Old 10-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Is there an adjustment to the cable? Check down by the lever and see if you can make the cable tighter. Also check the latch on the car when the door is open to see if the cable actually triggers it.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Is there an adjustment to the cable? Check down by the lever and see if you can make the cable tighter. Also check the latch on the car when the door is open to see if the cable actually triggers it.
Tried this, doesn't seem to work. I guess this seems to be a very unusual problem. When I get my oil changed this week, I'll get the dealer to look at this, maybe it's an electrical problem (Electric fuel door release?).

Anyways thanks for your input
Old 10-13-2002, 11:34 AM
I need a truck

crowbar ... but be gentle
Old 10-13-2002, 12:20 PM

Re: HELP! Fuel door will not open?

Originally posted by Iqb316
When I was at the gas station today, I tried to open my fuel door with the fuel release trigger and I heard the CLICK, but when I looked at the fuel door, it didn't pop open! So then I got my brother to keep pulling the release trigger and I was trying to push and pull on the gas door, but it wouldn't budge!

So I went home, took a flat head screwdriver and just tried to pry it out and it popped right open! I took some WD40 and sprayed the hinges of the door and the little white tab that retracts when you hit the fuel release trigger, left it alone for a bit and shut the lid. I tried to opening the fuel door again, but it was still stuck! The little white tab doesn't retract when you raise the trigger, but I can still hear the CLICK.

I did a search but didnt get anymore more than to just lube the hinges. After many scratches and a bruised finger, I'm stumped on what to do next
It sounds like your release lever cable may be broken. It happens. Had an 87 Stanza GXE and it snapped. I had to replace the cable. It is also the same cable that pops the trunk (unless you have an electric one). Check and see if the trunk pops. If you have the alarm/door lock/trunk release remote the trunk thing won't help. We had to pull the trunk interior away from the left rear fender and pull the latch with our fingers to fill up before we bought the part and fixed it. If you have a Chiltons or FSM look it up and see if it is a cable. If it is I bet that's the problem.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:12 PM

try having someone holding up the lever to release the fuel door while you gently pry the door open with a srewdriver.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:33 AM

I took a look at the cable, I was tugging on it a little to see if it was loose or broken, but it was still pretty tight.

I got the dealer to look at it yesturday and it was just the little white tab (the piece that retracts when you pull the lever that allows the door to swing open) that had to be replaced, it had become defective or broken. They charged me for 1/2 of labour so I said OK.

My SES light was on and I had already diagnosed it myself (2 minutes with a flat head screwdriver ) and it was the Vent Control Valve. The dealer wanted $88 for just diagnosing the problem which they said would take an hour and then another $70+ to CLEAR the SES light

However, they did have one 350z there in silver. The car was GORGEOUS! Seeing pics of it is one thing, but seeing it in person is a whole new experience! And I know other people agree because there was SO many handprints on the windows from people touching and trying to look inside. It wasn't the track model and it didn't have the Navi but it was going for $50,000+ CDN

Anyways, thanks for all your help guys, it was much appriciated.