1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

First time at the track. 14.7 in a auto 6th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 AM
aka The Doom Ship

First time at the track. 14.7 in a auto 6th Gen

First time ever at any track...

Temp 78 degrees. Current mods are in my sig. Please note the 29lb 20 inch rims I was running. Best time of 14.799. I got the best time by holding gas and brake and releasing the brake on go. My first and second gear are really strong; the 3rd gear however is very tall it seems. Ran 8 times and got consistent 14.8s.

1/2 of tank of gas and after 8 runs my needle did not move!

Trunk and back seat was gutted(my back seat weighs about 62lbs).

Obviously I need some of these to get better times:

16.6lb 18s...
Old 05-31-2008, 04:49 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Pretty good times.

I agree about 3rd gear, I manually shift into 3rd at 6700 rpm, seems to help.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Another thing I didn't do;

After the first 2 runs where I hooked up pretty nice off the light, I began to slip around the beginning of 2nd. I ran 40 psi; I wanna drop my PSI next time.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:01 PM

Hey congrats on the the the time man... So next time you still gonna do the 1/4 on those 20"s? Might gave you a little better time if you go back to stock rims for the next run. Any future mods?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:06 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I wanna go lighter than the stock 18s; I sold them anyway. Check the Volks I posted. 18X9s in the 17lb range would do some good. Also, I would like a valve body mod from either Level 10 or IPT Performance. My 2nd-3rd shift isn't so great. I would like the TS ECU flash for the 7000 rev limit also.

I'm curious to know how much time I would shave with light weight 18s.

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
Hey congrats on the the the time man... So next time you still gonna do the 1/4 on those 20"s? Might gave you a little better time if you go back to stock rims for the next run. Any future mods?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 AM

Excellent time for your first trip to the track. Was this in Ennis? Decent 60ft time too for auto w/ big rims.

I have lightweight 18"s on the Max but never did any tests before/after to prove the gains found in acceleration. You mainly feel the difference in the handling aspect -- was huge difference on my 200SX SE-R (switching from heavy 17"s to 15" Rota C8's). But being that you're an auto, I think you should experience a difference going to a smaller, lighter wheel - making it easier for your car to get off the line.

On my Altima 3.5 5MT, however, I switched from the stock 17"s to the 18" SSR's and actually got worse times b/c couldnt launch as well -- spun too freely. Not sure if this was more due to the low profile of the tire, or the lighter wheel, but my 60ft's suffered. Could have also been due to track prep running on a different day. So many variables...
Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Yup this was at Ennis. Track grip was luvlee Friday night. I'm hopin' I can get at least a .1 from smaller wheels.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:21 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Let me know when you go out again, if I can finish early enough on a Friday with work, I'd like to run my car to see what it runs.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:19 AM

Good times for your first time out. I'll be down there at the end of this month so hopefully you and a few of the other guys are down to go then?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Yup, I'll be there again. Hopefully with more mods.

Originally Posted by Juiced SE-R
Good times for your first time out. I'll be down there at the end of this month so hopefully you and a few of the other guys are down to go then?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Pretty good times.

I agree about 3rd gear, I manually shift into 3rd at 6700 rpm, seems to help.
on 6700 RPM, your tach is lying to you . Also, his 5AT is far better than our 4AT for 1/4 mile runs.

Ever consider going w/ 17" LW wheels? Do you know the DA for the evening? Were you manually shifting, or letting the car (TCM) shift for you?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Definitely wanna get 17x9s with a 255/40/17 tire. Volks have some that are about 17lbs but they are $$$. I noticed OZ has some too. I think I'm gonna stick with Dunlop Direzzas since they gripped so well off the line.

I was manually shifting, holding the the shifter in the downshift position in each gear to rev past the normal shift point.

Not sure what DA is...

Do you have any idea as to how much time I can shave with LW 17's?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
on 6700 RPM, your tach is lying to you . Also, his 5AT is far better than our 4AT for 1/4 mile runs.

Ever consider going w/ 17" LW wheels? Do you know the DA for the evening? Were you manually shifting, or letting the car (TCM) shift for you?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:27 AM

^^^^ Deff NOT, keep your 20s on please. See ya at the next light.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:42 AM
3.5 in the works

Nice job! Definitely room for improvement there with a different wheel/tire setup.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Slip some headers on that puppy. They netted me 11 mph and 1 full second with my 5.5 Gen (14.7 to 13.7 with no other changes) but as you already know traction is an issue that has to be addressed as well.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Jime
Slip some headers on that puppy. They netted me 11 mph and 1 full second with my 5.5 Gen (14.7 to 13.7 with no other changes) but as you already know traction is an issue that has to be addressed as well.
He has HS headers.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Yup, I'll be there again. Hopefully with more mods.
Good to hear, I guess I will see you and Ken and who ever else at the end of the month?

Originally Posted by Jime
I wish it were that easy for those that dont have headers. Brian Catts is still finishing up the headers for the 04-06 Maxima as well as the 05-06 Altima since HS went out of business. 11mph and from a 14.7 to a 13.7? WOW!!!! Thats insane! I'm hoping the headers come out soon so I can get my hands on a set, they sound like they are def worth the money and not only will it wake my car up on motor but the with the bottle it might wake up even more..
Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I'm bankin alot on light weight 17s.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Who is this? You in the Dallas area?

I might have caught the 1/4 mile bug cause I can wait to get some mods and go back.

Originally Posted by RacerX1320
^^^^ Deff NOT, keep your 20s on please. See ya at the next light.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I have headers and tuned AFC already. We'll be there the end of the month. We gonna try to get some vids this time.

Good to hear, I guess I will see you and Ken and who ever else at the end of the month?

I wish it were that easy for those that dont have headers. Brian Catts is still finishing up the headers for the 04-06 Maxima as well as the 05-06 Altima since HS went out of business. 11mph and from a 14.7 to a 13.7? WOW!!!! Thats insane! I'm hoping the headers come out soon so I can get my hands on a set, they sound like they are def worth the money and not only will it wake my car up on motor but the with the bottle it might wake up even more..
Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 AM

I knew you had headers already. Ken said you put down some good numbers on the dyno and I remember you telling me that a while back in a pm. Def gonna have to get some vids from the track and from the cruise sat night and then we can put it all into one big video if your cool with that?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have headers and tuned AFC already. We'll be there the end of the month. We gonna try to get some vids this time.
I missed that. You need some traction then although your mph doesn't really reflect the power you should have.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Of course it's cool.

I knew you had headers already. Ken said you put down some good numbers on the dyno and I remember you telling me that a while back in a pm. Def gonna have to get some vids from the track and from the cruise sat night and then we can put it all into one big video if your cool with that?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM

ABM: If you're out at the track w/ me next time you might could try my SSRs on the front if u want to see what the difference of the LightWeights make. I believe they are only 15lb's a piece?
Also if my friend comes he can increase your timing if you want w/ Cipher. They did mine last time and it pushed my traps about .5mph-- from high 100.X to low 101.Xmph.
Let me know next time you're going and I'll see if I'm able to go.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Now that's what I call Maxima community! Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on one or both. That's if I don't get my hands on a set of light weights before we go at the end of the month.

Originally Posted by PlanoSER
ABM: If you're out at the track w/ me next time you might could try my SSRs on the front if u want to see what the difference of the LightWeights make. I believe they are only 15lb's a piece?
Also if my friend comes he can increase your timing if you want w/ Cipher. They did mine last time and it pushed my traps about .5mph-- from high 100.X to low 101.Xmph.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

IIRC, depending on the size, if they're 17's, they're in the high 13lb area.

If doing multiple runs, use the Cipher to switch the fans on full swing in between runs.

While you have it (Cipher), why not log a run or 2?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:38 PM

I used to have 17" SSR's that were 12.8lb's a piece but some dirtbags jacked them!! My brother and friend found a douche-bag riding around w/ them on his Eclipse - same size, same tire, etc.. They took the dude's plate#/info and gave it to the cops but they wouldn't do jack about it. I'd have settled for them just beating that guy's **** instead of trying to be lawful about it..But whatever. Anyways, ya -- I have the 18" SSR's now - thankyou insurance company! They are around 15lb if I remember correctly?

ABM: Just remembered my brother has some 16" Steelies in his garage from his mazda6 that I think are the same lug pattern. He said they feel really light - you can try those if you think they will clear your calipers? Hmm.. I have the 2k4 front brakes on my car and will have to try them out for fitment! We may be rolling to the track next time on steelies lol!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
aka The Doom Ship

LOL. 16s might be pushin' it. Have you seen the ground clearance of headers on a 6th Gen? The y-pipe portion is about 3 inches from the ground. I'm afraid any smaller than 17s I'll be scraping.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

12.8lbs for those SSR's, I thought they were a lb heavier for some reason. That's insane, reminds me of the 15" 12lb TE 37's of back when.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 PM

yea we were going at it that night i cant wait to go back end of the month. I'll have a couple tricks up my sleeve. hopefully get a better time
Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 AM
dot dot dot ...

Tricks up sleeve = if you're not going to 'reveal' them
Old 06-07-2008, 09:51 AM

i really wasnt hiding anything, but some of the guys know already. but its the usual mods every 5.5 gen has, so there u have it
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 AM

LOL. 16s might be pushin' it. Have you seen the ground clearance of headers on a 6th Gen? The y-pipe portion is about 3 inches from the ground. I'm afraid any smaller than 17s I'll be scraping.
What about 16s....with fat tires? Might improve 60'?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by VQrebuild96
What about 16s....with fat tires? Might improve 60'?
That's exactly why I was wantin to try my brother's extra 16" Steelies with the higher profile tires on them. ABM Sounds concerned with clearance though I dont think that would be a prob. Only possible issues I would see is clearing the brakes
Old 06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Imma try 17s...16lbs is light enough. It'll be interesting.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:09 AM

Roughly what day do you think your car will be ready to hit the track? I need atleast a week or 2 on mine: was trying to install new wheelhub, bearing, and clutch last weekend.. only to find out my axle nut is seized-up! I ordered a new halfshaft and am waiting for it to be deliv'd before I carry-on. Should be able to fix her up next weekend if I don't run into any more snags.
I've been trying to talk a guy at work into going. He's got an STi with mods: intake, tb exhaust, accessport ECU tune, etc.. Car feels strong, i'd like to see what kind of numbers he can pull.
Another dude in his department has a 350Z, maybe can get him to come out too.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:25 AM
aka The Doom Ship

My car is pretty much ready to go. I pretty much gut the trunk and back seat and HOPEFULLY throw on the some 17s in the front and I'm good. I realize I had waaay too much fuel in my tank last time. Imma keep it just above a 1/4 of tank next time.

I've pretty much decided my next mod is gonna be the Technosquare flash. I NEED that 7100rpm limit. Once that's done I may have Jotech retune up top just to make sure I'm good. I probably won't get all this done by end of the month. Maybe though.

Roughly what day do you think your car will be ready to hit the track? I need atleast a week or 2 on mine: was trying to install new wheelhub, bearing, and clutch last weekend.. only to find out my axle nut is seized-up! I ordered a new halfshaft and am waiting for it to be deliv'd before I carry-on. Should be able to fix her up next weekend if I don't run into any more snags.
I've been trying to talk a guy at work into going. He's got an STi with mods: intake, tb exhaust, accessport ECU tune, etc.. Car feels strong, i'd like to see what kind of numbers he can pull.
Another dude in his department has a 350Z, maybe can get him to come out too.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:25 AM

yes invite them also.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 AM

My car is pretty much ready to go. I pretty much gut the trunk and back seat and HOPEFULLY throw on the some 17s in the front and I'm good. I realize I had waaay too much fuel in my tank last time. Imma keep it just above a 1/4 of tank next time.

I've pretty much decided my next mod is gonna be the Technosquare flash. I NEED that 7100rpm limit. Once that's done I may have Jotech retune up top just to make sure I'm good. I probably won't get all this done by end of the month. Maybe though.
Why dont u put the 17's in the front and rear? That would give u a better time then just up front.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Have you weighed your car yet? When I put my car on the scale it was 3075lb w/o me in it and 3285 w/ me. That was with about 1/4 tank of gas and I took the sparetire/jack out.
Why bring your car to jotech? I remember them being a rip-off from back in my highschool days -- have they changed? What do they charge you to do a tune? What did you dyno before; didnt you have strong #'s?
I am debating between TS ECU or going EU route -- love to tweak but would be a huge learning curve for me on the EU.

Last edited by PlanoSER; 06-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: First time at the track. 14.7 in a auto 6th Gen