1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

intresting (not good) day at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

intresting (not good) day at the track

I went to the nyirp 1/4 track with my bud yesterday. It was quite the odd time and I was getting some odd times and hopefully I figured it out.

my first run I had my bud in the car w/ me cause it was his first time and he wanted to see where to stage and where to turn around. I aired down the tires to 22 PSI and let the car sit for like 15 minutes to cool down a bit cause its over an hour long ride there. I go run and get the slip and it was only a 15.26 at 91.3. My 60 foot was a 2.37. And I thought the car felt like it was missing its upper end nut.

Very unhappy, I disconnected the battery and let the car sit for about 30 minutes in an attempt to clear the pcm. I also disconnected the purple wire from the neo that goes to the knock sensor cause I cant even seem to read knock on the neo so I figured maybe thats one step I shouldnt have followed from installing a vafc agaisnt the neo....it was just a guess.

My next run was a 14.85 at 93.5. My 60" 2.39 , I tried launching higher, but didnt really work. vi was at 4800

Next run I did 14.73 at 93.5 w/ a 2.29 60". I burned out a little longer and launched a little higher. I also tried to set the vi at 4900 rather than 4800.

Next run I did 14.74 at 93.8 w/ a 2.28 60". I tried to set the vi at 5000.

The top end of all the runs felt pretty weak. Not like where the vi wasnt openeing...not THAT bad..but still crappy. and it didnt seem to matter where I adjusted the vi. just out of curosity I popped the hood and set the vi to open at 2000 rpm and revved it up. Didnt even budge. I opened it by hand and it felt kinda chunky, not smooth at all. But with the motor off it moved fine. I double checked all the wires and all seemed good.

I had sanded and painted the manifold about a week ago because it looked like some degreasser ate into the plastic and in turn it looked like some one nutted on it (along w/ the oil cap). I took alot of lines and stuff off and taped it up all nice etc. I also had took out the solenoids. So on a last thought I took them out again and I noticed the one o ring wasnt in place. I tried to get it back in but it was dark and I ended up dropping it....ugh

So would a 0-ring thats not seated correctly cause the vi to not open or only partially open? If I replace the o-ring and still nothing I will hook the msd window switch back up rather than having the neo controll it cause thats my only other idea. But maybe the experts here will chime in?

But that was my messed up night at the track
Old 05-12-2007, 06:09 PM

got 2 new large o-rings for the solenoids and put a light coating of RTV on them and let it sit for a bit. Went for a drive, yup, that was it. All better now. Now I gotta get back to the track
Old 05-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Old Maxima Legend

well i dont have an anwer to your mechanical issues, but its nice to see a new report in on someone hitting the strip.

what were you hoping to run ? im not up to date on your maxima and mods. have you had any previous runs with USIM ?

60 ft-----et/mph
------------------
2.28--14.74@ 93.8

not to bad of a 60 foot on street tires, and a nice 14 second pass. would be interesting to find out what mods you got and more about the car.

nice job !
Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Turbo 3.5

nice run either way, makes me wonder what I would run without the spray

did you try tieing open the vi when you were it the track
Old 05-13-2007, 12:49 PM

my mods are:

2000 DE-K motor swap
Cattman Y pipe
magnaflow cat
Cold Air intake
Unorthodox UDP - stock diameter
Apexi NEO - street tuned to mid 13's A/F ratio
w/ PLX M-250 and vi set to 4700 rpm
CF hood
Bare trunk
No back seat (for track only)
16" enkei RS-5's with 225/55 potenza's
K-sport coilovers

This was my frist time to the track with this car. I pretty much bought it this way except I added the neo, wb02 and cai. I was hoping/praying for high high 13's, at least that was my optomistic guess.

Now that the VI is fixed, what a difference! I mean its like night and day to how it felt at the track.

I must admit, Im quite embarassed that I didnt realize it wasnt operating properly for a couple days. I assumed it felt slower up top because I went too lean on the street tune and it was really hot out those days. But what I think really happened is I tuned it good enough to where it didnt want to die so hard at like 5500 rpm (anyone with a 00vi that wasnt opening should probably know what I mean by that) during my previous street tuning that when it wasnt working right, it didnt feel as bad as it normally would if the vi wasnt opening.

But its a new and more complicated car for me and Im still learing it but also having alot of fun with it

I really cant wait to get back to the track now though

BTW t6378tp, I didnt even have time to try to anything unfortunatley it was so late and dark at the track by the time I realized it I didnt have any time to