1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

New best 60 foot - 1.762 (N/A 3L of course!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
3.5 in the works

New best 60 foot - 1.762 (N/A 3L of course!)

WELL I finally got the EU 2-step working reasonably well for me just in time for the bracket races a local Z-car club was having this past Saturday. Being a Nissan they asked me to participate and I said sure why not. Well I hope they aren't too mad at me now after I won the thing. lol. Was nice beating some newer Mustang GT's running mid 13's also. The weather was warmer and humid, plus a strong headwind and the car being heat soaked from running all the brackets I didn't set new ET bests but was consistently running 13.2's all day.

Anyways right around the elim's I got the 2-step set up and working reasonably well for me and all of a sudden, instant 1.7's. I pulled a couple 1.77's, a 1.78 and the 1.76. In spite of the weather and heatsoak, they might still have been 12 second passes but being brackets I had to slow down at the end to avoid breaking out since I'd set my dial based on 1.8 sixties... (One of those was a 13.52@84.78... ) Oh well, 12's will come soon I believe. I'll still be playing with the 2-step a bit more searching for the absolute best setting, which I'm not sure I've got yet. But I'm pleased with it considering I didn't change anything suspension or tire-wise and dropped from mid 1.8's to the 1.7's.

Also got a couple more videos to post up yet from Saturday, one being a good close up from the starting line so you can really see/hear the 2-step in action off the line. They should be a little bit better hopefully than the last set quality-wise but still off a digicam... I'm working on having a camcorder really soon to start getting some good quality videos with some zoom and better picture. lol. (On that note... Ceasar did you figure out the audio problems yet? )
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

:wow:.... 12's should be here, or at least extremely close... I can smell the one and two...

When will you get some time to get a full all out run in?

Congrats...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Thinks he is fast

Nice how does the 2-step work? Also what tires/wheels are you running?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
:wow:.... 12's should be here, or at least extremely close... I can smell the one and two...

When will you get some time to get a full all out run in?

Congrats...
Thanks!

I'll be going to the track off and on most weekends throughout the summer but the weather is getting quite a bit hotter now as we're getting into July. I may still crack 12's but most likely my car won't run its absolute best times this year until the fall. I still have to complete a mod or 2 and get on the dyno to finish my tuning also.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
Nice how does the 2-step work? Also what tires/wheels are you running?
2-step is an ignition cut allowing you to hold the throttle on the floor and have rpms kept at a constant set point for a certain length of time.

Tires/wheels are:
Front - 15x7 Kosei K1's wrapped in M&H 24.5x8.5x15 in slicks
Rear - 15x6 Mazda Millenias wrapped in some crappy 195/65/15 all seasons
Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Old Maxima Legend

dan i cant resolve the issue. is there anyone else that can edit a mpeg video on the org ? dan maybe you should save them as .wmv and post them up or let me host them. they are very good, sorry I cant edit them.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Wild for Width

Wow, that is seriously getting out of the hole.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Thinks he is fast

Originally Posted by DandyMax
2-step is an ignition cut allowing you to hold the throttle on the floor and have rpms kept at a constant set point for a certain length of time.

Tires/wheels are:
Sounds like the launch control that the new ferrari f430 has and I think the Enzo as well. Sweetness
Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Bacon Lover

Come on...let's see some 12's

Seriously though, good job on an amazing 60'.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 PM

that's a serious 60', that's unreal! Great job (again) Dandy
Old 06-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i believe dan is going to post up some of his vids, i have one online

video: 98 Nissan Maxima vs Nissan 350Z
http://www.ceasarschariot.net/dandyvs350.mpg
Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"Stands an claps!"

Very nice 60' time. Im jelous
Old 06-28-2006, 06:34 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Tires/wheels are:
DandyMax, that is a VERY impressive performance - and whupping some Mustangs makes it sweeter!

Could you give us a few more details? What RPM do you hold at? What kind of burnout do you use? I just got M&H 23/8.5/15 slicks, and I still haven't figured out the right launch procedure ... it looks like I need to "do a Jime" and spray everything right at launch - instead of rolling into it..

Daymn fine job. and you're N/A, too........
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 AM

Tires/wheels are:
Is there any way to convert it to a fuel cut so that people with cats can use it??
Old 06-28-2006, 06:50 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
"Stands an claps!"

Very nice 60' time. Im jelous
I'm jealous of your snail.... lol
Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by grey99max
...Could you give us a few more details? What RPM do you hold at? What kind of burnout do you use?...
I believe that day I had it set at 6400 rpms. As for the burnout, you'll be able to clearly see it in one of the videos that I'm aiming to get posted this evening.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by nismology
Is there any way to convert it to a fuel cut so that people with cats can use it??
Not really on the EU no, since most likely you'd be launching at or lower than stock redline. Past that point you *might* be able to do it with the rev limit extender tool, but the problem with that would be how to deactivate the cut and still rev past the stock limit normally at other times? Off the top of my head I don't see a readily apparent way to do it.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I believe that day I had it set at 6400 rpms. As for the burnout, you'll be able to clearly see it in one of the videos that I'm aiming to get posted this evening.
?? 6400 ?? WOW! That explains some of the 60' time.. Now I really want to see your videos -
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Based on your earlier 13.13 run and your current 60' times your car is definately capable of hitting a 12.9 on a cool night if the track hooks.

And if you hit 12.9xx at only 104 mph in a FWD sedan I think you'd be accomplishing something Doesn't that sound good? 12.9@104

It usually takes 106-108 for most FWD guys to do it.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Very nice 60 foot times dandy. Lets see some 12's soon.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:10 PM

6400.... a real man!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
6400.... a real man!
Lol. Last week I went from 7000 just to try it....

So far seems like 6400-6600 is the best area for me though... any higher has not resulted in better short times.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
SLOW

wow I didn't think you'd be able to pull 1.7s without doing some suspension mods as well. excellent.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM

What was wrong with the video? Nice runs..!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:15 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
wow I didn't think you'd be able to pull 1.7s without doing some suspension mods as well. excellent.
Yeah the funny thing is Neal (you'll see when you watch the video) you can see the rear squat pretty good still on the KSports and that's with almost no preload. So there's room to go to in stiffening up the rear for sure. And also tires too if I get ambitious... maybe I can hit 1.6's after all? JClaw seems to think so...

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
What was wrong with the video? Nice runs..!
Well I sent the mpg's to Ceasar to edit but he said the audio kept getting corrupted on it... or something like that? And the audio will be important for the 2-step. I don't have any decent video editing software currently but it sounded like an audio decoder or bit rate conversion issue or something? I could be mistaken though I'm not that knowledgeable about all of that yet.

I could send you the files too if you'd like to have a crack at it? (need your email address though).
Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 PM
SLOW

Yeah the funny thing is Neal (you'll see when you watch the video) you can see the rear squat pretty good still on the KSports and that's with almost no preload. So there's room to go to in stiffening up the rear for sure. And also tires too if I get ambitious... maybe I can hit 1.6's after all? JClaw seems to think so....
I think you could hit a high 1.6 with more work too. Here are the things I think would help in that regard.

A) Aftermarket clutch that can handle a launch right from the redline. It can be done (mardi launches at 7k)

B) Reducing or eliminating rear end squat. This could be done in several ways. I just picked up some rubber spring spacers from Pep Boys, cut them down to square shape, drilled a hole in the center, and cut a slit in them. They are now strut spacers that I can put on my rear strut rods between the bump stop and strut body. They seem to reduce rear squat by about half when I jump up and down in the trunk of the car. Track effectiveness has not yet been determined. If you were to get really serious, you could pick up a set of stock (or any) rear struts. you could weld the piston rod to the strut body, effectively making a "zero squat" setup that you'd only want to swap in for the track. Actually swapping out the rear struts is really really simple as you know, you could do both sides in a half hour.

C) Eliminating front end lift. Jclaw has done this using big 175lb/in zip ties from Home Depot. I picked up a set of these as well, but have yet to use them - explanation to follow. You'd want to put a bunch of them (10 maybe? ) on each front spring and zip them down, making it so the front springs cannot decompress, making it so the front end doesn't lift up.

Like I said I bought some of these (three 10 packs, $18 total at Home Depot). After I bought these I decided I wanted to do something more cost effective. So I bought some ratcheting tow straps and also some pipe clamps, in the hopes that I could figure out how to fabricate some setup that I could either leave on the car all the time, or easily remove and install for track days. I ran out of time before the last track day I went to, so I didn't complete it. What I think I'm going to do though is going to require some cutting and welding so it's not just going to be a simple project - but if I get it done, i'll have a mechanism that stays on the car permanently and can be ratcheted down to reduce front end lift, or released so that it drives like it isn't even there. That project is a ways off though. I'd just like to avoid having to spend $20 on zip ties every time I want to go to the track, though the zip ties will work just fine.

If you were to do these 3 things I don't doubt you could pull 1.6s. Maybe even possible without doing all 3. Also consider tire size and diff ratio too, those could possibly be optimized, though they are a little harder to do so. What is the "optimal" mix of aggressive gearing vs potential wheelspin, etc. That's an expensive trial and error game to play.

Also, any weight reduction you did would help out too. Those all motor hondas pulling 1.4s aren't doing it with big power, they are doing it with power/weight ratio.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Old Maxima Legend

dan let luke have a shot at it maybe ?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's a serious launch for a FWD car!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:34 AM

What sort of slick PSI are you using. Your 1.7s pissed me off (reads-motivated me) and Im doing the tube/rim screw thing again and am going to try to do 10psi or under fro my next track visits. Previously Ive done a few 1.7s with 12-13psi in the slicks.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:06 PM
3.5 in the works

Hehe as you know Mardi these are your old wheels & tires so no excuses for you!

lol... j/k

IIRC, I started at 16 psi, got the sixties down to around 1.80 flat and then went to 14 psi and started hitting ~1.77 consistently. Next time out I may go even further to see what happens.

Also, did you decide what to run for camber? I'm at -2 right now but I have no idea how much/IF it is helping...
Old 06-29-2006, 03:38 PM

Yeah the funny thing is Neal (you'll see when you watch the video) you can see the rear squat pretty good still on the KSports and that's with almost no preload. So there's room to go to in stiffening up the rear for sure. And also tires too if I get ambitious... maybe I can hit 1.6's after all? JClaw seems to think so...
Two Canadian tire mini floor jacks on the rear beam, one per side. That's "no preload" for ya... I was going to try it and weld some solid plates on the beam so I could fab a safe and strong bracket for them. Very easy to take in and out.

I actually baught some but returned them when I sold the car. Sort of like Jime's boat rollers but much quicker to install/uninstall and you can literally "jack" up the rear end and get absolutely zero compression on launch.

They retail for like 17 bucks each, smallest size at Canadian tire. They will add 10-15 lbs to the car but I still think it's worth the try.

Hehe as you know Mardi these are your old wheels & tires so no excuses for you!

lol... j/k

IIRC, I started at 16 psi, got the sixties down to around 1.80 flat and then went to 14 psi and started hitting ~1.77 consistently. Next time out I may go even further to see what happens.

Also, did you decide what to run for camber? I'm at -2 right now but I have no idea how much/IF it is helping...
Slight negative camber up front is good because it goes into a nigh perfect angle on acceleration.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:07 PM

Im running oon the far side of factory spec.

The 1.7s I pulled were on those slicks at 12.5psi. dayum Hopefully the 26x10s on Weld ProStar 15x10s with rim screws will get me back onto the 1.7s and maybe 1.6s
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 PM
SLOW

Whoa you are running alot of pressure in those slicks but apparently it's working for you. I usually started at 13-14psi each time at the track and dropped it half a psi per run until my ETs bottomed out which was always around 11.5psi. Any lower than that and my 60's wouldn't get any better but my traps started getting worse.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
3.5 in the works

JClaw: yes I remember our conversation a while back regarding that jack idea...

Mardi: I'll be very interested to see how you do on the 10 inchers. Some have advised me to go to a 26x10 rim/slick combo also. Now of course you do have a heck of a lot more under the hood than I do...

Neal: I will try running them lower yet this week and see how it goes. I'm not surprised to hear you say 11.5 was the lower limit; I've heard from several sources that 12 or so is about as low as we should go... but yeah so far 14 has been pretty good.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:09 AM

Dandy, kudos for getting the car running. It sounds like a beast.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Dandy,
Thanks for motivating me to get the EU installed in my car ASAP.... I am severly held back with stock ignition timing. I probably won't drag my car, but I would like to see if I can get some big HP gains out of it.

BTW it sounds like a beast going down the track after watching it... it did sound like it bogged a little bit in 2nd gear towards the top. Is that the rev extended on the EU doing that or what ?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:46 PM

Found this online on Ontario Z owners club forum.... I was kinda currious to see what these guys had to say about a Max whoppn their Zs :P

I didn't see anything about it thou.... never a mention of the Maxima, just the picture.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 PM
3.5 in the works

Blackbird you will definitely gain power if you have stock timing right now. That bog you mention in 2nd gear.. you mean just the change in tone as the car goes past the camera? It's just the doppler effect on the sound waves... If you watch the others I'm about to post up you'll see there's no bog.

Yeah those Z car guys were pretty astonished. I had lots of them coming up checking out the car and asking where the turbo was.. haha. But I think their forum is pretty dead... lol.

I am going to make a new thread right now with some pics and videos from the Z car races last week.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 PM

Gotcha.... I'm possibly thinking of buying a 92 SE-R chassis for 200 bux with no interior and doing a VQ30DE swap into it. I don't wanna hammer my DD with 7K RPM clutch drops. Just when I told myself I will not pour $$$ into cars, you guys tempt me with all these records.... ******.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:06 AM
3.5 in the works

Lol sorry man. I also have a truck so I'm not overly scared to beat on the Max. So far so good *fingers crossed*

But I don't usually just hard dump the clutch...